- SELFISH, by Kim Kardashian, is a book—obviously—about the “selfie photography of Kim Kardashian West,” where the reality-show performer is depicted by Amazon as, “a trailblazer of the ‘selfie movement’—a modern-day self-portrait of the digital age—[where] she has mastered the art of taking flattering and highly personal photos of oneself.”
- “Now there’s a book cover if we’ve ever seen one! . . . this book is obviously made for her biggest fans. Not to mention it includes previously unseen selfies!” –USA Today
- SELFLESS, by Not Kim Kardashian, this remixed photo essay, is a collection of selfies taken in imitation of existing Kardashian pictures.
- “Kim Kardashian is the queen of selfies, and she’s planning to make sure every one knows it in her upcoming book, Selfish.” –MTV News
5. Like the “Untitled Film Stills” of photographer Cindy Sherman—where Sherman poses in a series of self-portraits stylized to appear as single images from film productions . . .
- Like the “rules” of social media, where Kim Kardashian West tries not to post more than three pictures in a row at the same event, which doesn’t stop her from posting endless (well, almost 2,700) photos of herself.
- Kardashian West, who rose to fame as Paris Hilton’s sidekick and, later, for an infamous sex tape, later became a household name as one of the members of a certain reality show…
- “From her favorite throwback images to current ultra-sexy glam shots, Selfish will provide readers with a behind-the-scenes look into Kardashian’s life.” –In Style Magazine
10. Like her 72-day marriage to Kris Humphries, and her high-profile union with Kanye West…
11. “. . . . It’s easy to mock — indeed, the title almost does it for you — but this seemingly throw-away collection may end up being just as much a part of pop-art history as when Andy Warhol painted soup cans.” –Daily News
12. “Now you can get between the covers with her— hardcovers, that is. With more than 400 pages of intimate snaps(including bikini selfies, lingerie selfies and, yes, several nude selfies)….Selfish, published by art-house giant Rizzoli, feels like scrolling through a fabulously rich and beautiful friend’s well-curated smartphone.” –Playboy Magazine
13. SELFLESS is a set-up, parody, and comment on Kardashian’s “original” “body” of “work,” which depends so much on the imagery of her own body as a sexualized, fame object.
14. “As it stands, Kim Kardashian West holds the title for most Instagram followers (at 30 million) just behind the platform’s own account (at 60 million). An average Kim K selfie garners upwards of 650,000 likes with her wedding photo receiving 2.5 million likes. With all that in mind, there’s no question that Kim’s controversial new book, Selfie, is going to fly off the shelves.” –V Magazine
15. “Attention all Kim Kardashian fans — here’s the E! star as you’ve never seen her before! . . . aptly dubbed Selfish . . . [the images] definitely don’t disappoint.” –E! Online
16. “Kim Kardashian has joined the ranks of Giacometti, da Vinci, Lichtenstein, O’Keeffe, and just about every other revered artist of any era:….”
17. “…she, too, now has a Rizzoli-published book devoted to her work at the forefront of an artistic movement. Indeed, Rizzoli notes that she’s ‘widely regarded as a trailblazer of the ‘selfie movement.’” –com
18. According to the New York Daily News, SELFISH includes 300 total selfies; 115 cleavage shots; 23 butt shots; 10 nude selfies; 1 shot of her baby bump.
Yes, the selfie movement.
SELFLESS images courtesy of Josh Flanders, Sheri Flanders, Kelly Haramis, Sam Kaser, Erin Lann, Janice Marable, Jason Pereira, Matt Strick, Barbie and Ken (assisted by Kallista Schneiderman).